POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Photons and Normals : Re: Photons and Normals Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:31:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photons and Normals
From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Date: 27 Oct 2001 14:50:45
Message: <MPG.1645210baa7a8ee99896a6@news.povray.org>
In article <3BDAF7DB.20FED1F5@pacbell.net>, tyl### [at] pacbellnet says...

> I wouldn't necessarily classify this as a bug. It is more a limitation
> with the implementation of the normal perturbation method that POV-Ray
> uses.

Are you sure?
I just testet it now with an Isosurface and a heightfield (without a
normal map of course).
The results are the same as with a normal.

However, this is not realistic. I tried it with a glass of water and
placed different objects in the caustics. Leather, paper, and cloth.
In all cases the caustics remained very visible, they relative brightness
to the rest of the object didn't chage significantly.

Lutz-Peter